Beryl Women Inc. provides support and safe housing to women and children escaping domestic/family violence.
We welcome all women regardless of age, financial situation, religion, background or nationality.
If you are viewing this site from a potentially unsafe place, you can immediately close any page by placing your mouse pointer over the RED X at the top right of any page and click. This will close the page. However, please click this link to read more information about staying safe on-line - including web browser history and communication security.
Referrals for accommodation or other support are taken via FirstPoint; the ACT's central organisation for crisis and emergency accommodation for those escaping domestic and family violence. Please see our 'help' page.
What's been happening at Beryl lately?
- Position Vacant: Committee (Governance) Member: Beryl Women Inc. is seeking women who may be interested in joining the governing committee of the organisation.
The Committee is a group of women who are the management voice of the organisation, and consists of a number of community representatives who bring their expertise across a range of areas. The Committee oversees legal and financial responsibility for the service; it is the accountability mechanism which ensures that government funds are being legitimately used for the welfare and wellbeing of the community, in the context of our Contract to provide services.
If you have an interest in joining a diverse group of women who have a commitment to eliminating domestic/family violence within our community, and, if you hold experience in change management, we would like to talk to you. The position is voluntary.
If you would like additional information, please contact the service (see our 'Contact Us' page).
- Posted 2/5/13
- Centenary of Canberra: The staff of Beryl Women Inc would like to wish all good luck and peace for 2013. During the Centenary of Canberra, (it's our city's big birthday!) and all the celebrations and events that will take place, we'd like to ask all Canberrans to keep the safety of vulnerable women and children in their minds - and help make Canberra a place where gender or family based violence is not hidden away, but is faced.
- Donations: Due to the huge generousity of many local Canberrans, we are currently unable to recieve any donations of goods or furniture until the end of May 2013. If you have items that are new/good condition used that you would like to donate, and you are able to hold onto them until early June, we will be accepting items. Check our Donations page for more info.
Campaigns, Events and Causes
Beryl Women Inc, as an organisation working with those affected by violence and homelessness, supports many campaigns, events and causes. Through support of these, and similar events, we work towards a peaceful and more inclusive society. For more information about any of the campaigns, events or causes we support just click the relevant link below.
- You Me Unity: Recognising Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander peoples in the Australian Constitution.Click here for more information
- Senate Inquiry into Involuntary or Coerced Sterilisation of People With Disabilities in Australia: Women With Disabilities Australia (WWDA) have been working for 10 years to have the Australian Government enquire into the practice of involuntary or coerced sterilisation of women and girls with disabilities. The Australian Senate has (finally) referred this matter to the Community Affairs References Committee for inquiry and report by 24 April 2013. Click here for more information.
If you would like to donate to our service (clothes, toys, furtniture - even white goods) we would love to hear from you! Check our Donations page by clicking the link on the left.