If you need urgent help due to domestic violence, or you know someone who is at risk, know these emergency numbers:
Police on 131 444 (attendance to an incident) or 000 (for life threatening emergencies).
You do not need to call your local Police station as calls to 131 444 or 000 will be dispatched just as quickly to the local area.
- Domestic Violence CRISIS NUMBER: 6280 0900 (24hours)
- Canberra Rape Crisis Centre 6247 2525 (24hours)
- 1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732 (24 hours) www.1800respect.org.au
If what you'd like help with is advice about where someone escaping domestic or family violence can go, or if you'd like to be referred to one of the ACT's accommodation services for women and children escaping domestic violence, you need to call FIRSTPOINT. FIRSTPOINT is the ACT's central organisation for referrals to emergency and crisis accommodation. If you are simply wanting advice, or to talk, use the other numbers below.
- Firstpoint: 1800 176 468 (1800 1 POINT)
- Beryl Women Inc - women and children escaping DV 6288 1622
- Doris Women's Refuge -women and children escaping DV 6278 9999
- Firstpoint- homelessness referal centre 1800 176 468
- Louisa Women's Refuge -women and children escaping DV 6299 4799
- Inanna Women's Refuge -women in trauma w or w/out children 6295 3323
- Toora House – homeless single women over 16yrs 6247 2399
- Heira House – single women escaping DV 6278 3544
- St Vincent de Paul crisis accom -women and children 6208 7330